Nationality and Citizenship Law

Becoming British if you are an Adult (Naturalisation)

There are different ways to apply for British citizenship (or ‘naturalisation’) based on your circumstances. Becoming a British citizen allows you to work and live anywhere in the UK without immigration control constraints. Once you have full British Citizenship you are free to apply for a full British passport.

If you are the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen

  • you must have lived in the UK for the last 3 years.
  • Have Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) or
  • Have Settled Status under the EU Settlement Scheme

If you have Indefinite Leave to Remain and you are not the spouse or civil partner of a British Citizen

  • To apply for citizenship with ILR you must usually have lived in the UK for 12 months after getting it and
  • Have lived in the United Kingdom legally for 5 years.

If you have ‘settled status’ under the EU Settlement scheme

  • To apply for citizenship with settled status you must usually have lived in the UK for 12 months after getting it

Seren Legal can best advise you on the requirements that must be met in order to start the application and help you through the application process for naturalisation as a British citizen with the best chances of getting the positive outcome desired.

The Home Office will carefully consider the time you have spent in the UK, your character and conduct, your knowledge of English and life in the UK and whether you are free from immigration restrictions

Becoming British if you are a child (Registration)

Children who are born outside the UK will only acquire British citizenship from their parents in certain circumstances. Those who do not may be able to register as a British citizen

A child can apply for registration under section 3(2) and 3(5) of the British Nationality Act. there is also a discretionary application that can be made under Section 3(1). This is a very complex area of law therefore instructing Seren Legal will ensure your application is compliment with the rules and therefore guarantee the best possible result.

Other ways to become British

There are several other ways you may be able to become a British or a British overseas National (BOC). This area of law is extremely complex and the

To help you through this complex area of law we would need to review your full family history and documents to advice on the best course of action and to progress your case through to success.

Ancestry Visa

You can apply to enter the United Kingdom on an ancestry visa if;

  • you’re a Commonwealth citizen
  • you can prove one of your grandparents was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man
  • you’re able and planning to work in the UK
  • you are able to financially support and house yourself without needing public funds
  • you are over the age of 17

you can not apply for this visa (switch) once you are in the United Kingdom. The visa will be granted for 5 years and you can apply for your partner and children to join you.